The first building of the Methodist Episcopal Church in Morristown was completed in 1827 and was located on Market Street close to the corner of Maple Avenue.
The top of Morris Street, two doors down from our present church, was the site of our second church building, dedicated in 1841. Ministers were re-assigned every one to three years to our first two churches. Methodists worshipped at the second church for over 30 years.
The cornerstone of our present church was laid on December 12, 1866, and the dedication held on March 22, 1870. The building was constructed of puddingstone, purple clay interspersed with white pebbles, which is local to this area and was transported from nearby Horse Hill. The practice of renting pews continued until 1917. In 1902, yearly pew rentals ranged from $7 to $110, depending upon desirability of location in the sanctuary!
In 1939 the name became "The Methodist Church", following the unification of three churches: Further unification changed the name to "The United Methodist Church" in 1968.
In January 1972, much of our church was destroyed by fire. The congregation worshippedin Temple B'NaiOr in Morristown during the reconstruction. The charred cross hanging in the courtyard serves as a reminder of this tragedy. Pieces from the crystal chandelier were also salvaged and now hang in a beautiful ceiling sculpture in the corner of the courtyard.